Saturday, June 20, 2009

Iran Protests


All week I have been enthralled by the protests in Iran. I am thoroughly impressed by the numbers of people who have turned out, the energy that this rebellion contains, and I am excited for them that change appears to be inevitable. I wish that I could do something to help. Of course, I am limited in what actions I can take, and so far, the social networks seem to be the only platform that I might use to offer support. I changed my Facebook profile picture to the green one on the left. I also changed my location from Los Angeles to Tehran in hopes of confusing the Iranian government who will probably be policing the Facebook profiles for subversive Iranians. The more profiles they have to look through, the more difficult it should be to zero in on the rebels. I even opened a Twitter account giving my city as Tehran and adjusting my time zone to comply. In conjunction with many others, this will hopefully help them avoid the government thought police.
I'm very worried about what is going to happen later today. The Ayatollah Khamenei made a very obvious threat in his speech Friday. I understand the protest is expected to begin at 4 p.m. Iran time, which is about 6:30 a.m. my time. By the time I wake up it will all be over with. Three things could happen. 1, the protesters will be too afraid to come out and nothing will happen. 2, The protesters come out and are allowed to proceed. Or 3, the protesters come out and the government begins a bloody crackdown. I am hoping for the second scenario, but unfortunately expect the third. There is a good chance that the Ayatollah will be taking his cues from China, since they got away with what they did in Tiananmen Square. One thing that has changed since 1989 though is technology. Citizens in Iran have cell phone cameras and internet access, and the images taken so far have been getting out despite government attempts to stop them. So the whole world will see what happens, including the Iranian's.

2 comments:

  1. excellent time for the technology of today. From citizens in Iran to students in local schools, technology will be our amunition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't you become a teacher????

    ReplyDelete